Residential property

Cross border charities

Charity law is not consistent throughout the United Kingdom and there are different regulating bodies and legislation governing the various jurisdictions.

The Charity Commission for England and Wales can only register charities that are governed by the laws of England and Wales. Scottish registered charities don’t need to apply even if they are active in England. In contrast, a charity that is operating in Scotland must be registered by OSCR to call itself a charity in Scotland, even if it is already registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales. Northern Ireland has its own Charity Commission.

Inevitably, with several Regulators working to different sets of legislation, trustees of cross-border charities must be aware of the highest standards applying to them.

If you are considering a cross-border charity or are unsure about your responsibilities as a trustee of a cross-border charity (in general, or in relation to a specific issue), we can provide all the support and guidance you require.

Back to top
Back to top

How can we help you today?